The Pubs of Lemsford Parish
When the Great North Road went through Lemsford it is said as many as 150 coaches a day. Carriages and wagons would pass through the village daily. All the inns would have offered food and drink for the travellers. Accommodation would be provided if required. Wheelwrights and blacksmiths were available to service the wagons and horses. Stabling for the horses would also have been provided.
Pub in and around Lemsford
Why was the 1800s the golden age? This was the time before the railways formed the principle transport to the North. The principle transport was the stagecoach. In 1836 over 340 routes were licensed to travel to and from London. Most coaches 4 passengers inside and 11 on the roof, nearly all had distinctive names and operated from Inns in and around the city of London. Map on the left shows all the Pubs in th Parish including the ones long gone. See Map below
If we take the year 1836 Hertfordshire had nearly 100 coaches passing through it every 24 hours, including 11 mail coaches which left londons general post office at 8-00pm. if you add the private wagons you can imagine the hustle bustle of life in Lemsford. In our records we have time tables for the Post office coaches to Leeds (took 20 hrs 52 minutes), The Glasgow coach (44 hours) as well as private companies, Express (Barton upon Humber) The times (Bedford) The perseverance (Boston) ( read out list) all of these coaches would leave the great inns of London such as ‘ Bull & Moth’ St Martins le Grand, ‘George & Blue Boar’ Holborn, ‘Kings Arms’ Snow Hill ‘Boar and Castle’ Oxford street and many more great inn of London.The inns and pubs, these could be found on the main Great North road that went through the village, the route started in the area called Stanbrough which had a pub called the Bull on the road leading in the coaches would follow the road now known as Brocket Road and when they reached the Church. Down into the Village Past the Roebuck and Sun Inn , up the side of the Long Arm & Short Arm following the Gret North Road to the Waggoners onward to the Red Lion and leaving the Parish Bound for Welwyn Village