Lemsford Mill is probably one of four mills on the River Lea at Hatfield recorded in the Domesday Book in 1086 and is known to have milled flour since the 12th century. By the 19th century the miller was a tenant of the Brocket Hall Estate when the Lords Melbourne and Palmerston, two of Queen Victoria’s Prime Ministers, were landlords. Read full article
Albert Hill (1858-1940)
Born in Aylesbury in 1858, Albert Hill came to live at Lemsford Mill at the age of eighteen, combining the pursuits of miller and farmer for many years. He was a founder member of the Herts. Agricultural Society, upon its reconstitution in 1880, and held the office of Hon Secretary for its first two years. During this time he accomplished "a considerable amount of useful work" for the embryo Society and he was then elected as a member of the Society Committee in 1882.
While resident in Lemsford, Albert Hill participated in most of the activities of the village and was a churchwarden for some years. He retired when the Mill was taken over by the Sheriff family in 1907 and took up residence in Hatfield Road, St Albans, where he had a close association with the Abbey.
Albert Hill married Emma Mary White, a farmer's daughter, in 1885. He died in London on 8 May 1940, aged eighty two, following an operation and is buried in St Alban's Cemetery. .
To view our collection of Images of The Mill Click Here