The Bull at Stanborough
For many years the property owned by the Battell family. The main building stood a little to the North of the present building, roughly where the Aston Martin Garage is located. In 1724 it came to William Tomkin and was known as the ‘Seven Stars’. Later it was by Willliam Thorpe, farmer of Stanborough Farm. In 1756 it was called ‘The Horse & Groom’ or ‘Horse & Jockey’ and was owned by Jame Hetherington who was married to Williams Thorpe’s daughter Mary. Later their son Thomas Hethering took over. In 1773 it was in the hands of William Whitty from whom it was purchased in 1789 by William Whittingstall of Hoddesdon Brewery. Read full article
To view our collection of Images of 'The Bull' Click Here
Pub in and around Lemsford
When The Great North Road ( see Map) went through Lemsford it is said as many as 150 coaches a day. Carriages and wagons would pass through the village daily. All the inns would have offered food and drink for the travellers. Accommodation would be provided if required. Wheelwrights and blacksmiths were available to service the wagons and horses. Stabling for the horses would also have been provided. Read about ,The Pubs in the Parish of Lemsford
Why was the 1800s the golden age? This was the time before the railways formed the principle transport to the North. The principle transport was the stagecoach. In 1836 over 340 routes were licensed to travel to and from London. Most coaches 4 passengers inside and 11 on the roof, nearly all had distinctive names and operated from Inns in and around the city of London. Map on the left shows all the Pubs in th Parish including the ones long gone.....Read more about The Golden Age of Lemsford'
Stan Borries Lemsford Village History(Publications) Stan Borrie was a founder member of Lemsford Local History Group. He produced most of the research for the ‘Pubs of Lemsford Parish’ and published a booklet for the group. He died in 2010 and is sadly missed. The image shows him with his wife Marion outside Cress Cottage in the VillageRead about ,The Pubs in the Parish of Lemsford