The Sun Inn
The first time the Sun Inn is mentioned as an ale house is in 1717. The licensee was Widow Ann Gilbert, however trouble was bought about by disorderly customers in 1718 and she was forbidden to use the house ‘ The signe of the Sun’ as an ale house as they did not have a licence. The next time we read about The Sun Inn or The Rising Sun was from the mid 1700s it was known as a hostelry and for some of the time as a butchers Shop.From 1780 to 1850 it was the family home of the clark,the Allen, Crabb and Jon Marshall. Read full article
To view our collection of Images of 'The Sun Inn' Click Here
Pub in and around Lemsford
When The Great North Road ( see Map) went through Lemsford it is said as many as 150 coaches a day. Carriages and wagons would pass through the village daily. All the inns would have offered food and drink for the travellers. Accommodation would be provided if required. Wheelwrights and blacksmiths were available to service the wagons and horses. Stabling for the horses would also have been provided. Read about ,The Pubs in the Parish of Lemsford
Why was the 1800s the golden age? This was the time before the railways formed the principle transport to the North. The principle transport was the stagecoach. In 1836 over 340 routes were licensed to travel to and from London. Most coaches 4 passengers inside and 11 on the roof, nearly all had distinctive names and operated from Inns in and around the city of London. Map on the left shows all the Pubs in th Parish including the ones long gone.....Read more about The Golden Age of Lemsford'
Stan Borries Lemsford Village History(Publications) Stan Borrie was a founder member of Lemsford Local History Group. He produced most of the research for the ‘Pubs of Lemsford Parish’ and published a booklet for the group. He died in 2010 and is sadly missed. The image shows him with his wife Marion outside Cress Cottage in the VillageRead about ,The Pubs in the Parish of Lemsford