Early evidence suggests the house dates back to 1239 and was called ‘Watershyppes’.The area had several manors,Symonshyde, Benstead, Heron, and Chewells around the time of Henry III (1207 to 1272 ) these mannors merge and become ‘Watershyppes’and was owned by Simon Fitz Ade. They were also known as FitzSymon. In the 15th century a FitzSymonds heiress married Sir Thomas Brocket . Read full article
The estate was sold to Sir Matthew Lamb in 1746
This era was an eventful time Sir Matthew engaged one of the leading architects of the day Sir James Paine and asked him to build a new Brocket hall and Paine did just that. Sir Matthew died around 1765. Sir Matthew's son became the first Lord Melbourne, largely through the efforts of his wife who was a mistress of the Prince Regent, later George IV, who was a frequent visitor to Brocket Hall. The Prince gave his mistress a gift of a Reynolds painting which hangs in the ballroom and created the Chinese suite of rooms - known as the Prince Regent Suite - which are still used by residential guests today. The building was finished by by the 1st Lord Melbourne known as Peniston. With his wife they also widened the river into the lake and the work was complete by 1775. A surprising fact about Brocket Hall was at this time was horse races were held in the park.
After the death of Henry Frederick Cowper in 1887 the Hall whilst in the ownership of the 7th Earl Cowper was rented out and between 1893 and 1921 the house was rented to Lord Mount Stephens. On the death of Earl Cowper in 1905 his niece inherited the property until her death in 1906 when her husband Admiral of the fleet Lord Walter Talbot Kerr. Lord Walter Talbot Kerr. .
To view our collection of Images of Brocket Hall Click Here